Today we celebrate, not the indignities of immigration laws and rules put forth, not the separation of children which we protested against (which is still happening), not the deaths of immigrant children that were in Border Control's care, not this administration's undying efforts to make seeking asylum more and more difficult.
Today we step back to take just a moment to celebrate the union of 30 people from the Beacon, NY area who traveled in a caravan through six states last July 31st, to peacefully protest the separation of children and arrived at the border 200 strong, and the fact that we have continued our organization and now have many groups and hundreds of volunteers across the nation - hundreds and hundreds of people who care about humanity, the rights of people to seek asylum in our county, and their right to be treated with dignity. We celebrate the many like-minded hearts and minds of people who have stepped up and volunteered by:
• Organizing Grannies Respond groups in several cities
• Shopping or procuring donated goods
• Making up kits including hygiene products, snacks, and more
• Going to bus stations day after day to hand to out these kits and to ensure the safe passage of asylum-seekers across the country
• Making a documentary about us called "From Beacon to the Border"
• Participating in press, video, Facebook, magazine, and internet articles
• Aligning us with like-minded groups to strengthen our united work
• Going to the border to assist our partner organizations: The Angry Tias and Abuelas, Catholic Charities Humanitarian Respite Center, and Team Brownsville
• Arranging for Clark University students to participate in an internship program to volunteer at the border for a month
• Donating legal services and time
• Donating money
• Helping formalize Grannies Respond as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization
• Participating as members of our wonderful Board of Directors, which enables us to continue to raise awareness and be a conduit for those who want to help
Today we celebrate you! Thank you to all who have contributed to create and expand Grannies Respond / Abuelas Responden, Inc. so we could sustain our ability to serve.
Happy Birthday Grannies! 💖
Catherine Cole and Beth Yeager
Co-Executive Directors Grannies Respond / Abuelas Responden, Inc.